 Robotics / 18402
Re: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 02:28:29 GMT

I agree with EVERYTHING you just said.  Lets just hope the SDK will shed
some new light on the subject...

I just happen to be one of those folks with NO SERIAL PORT on my laptop.  I
was not aware when I placed my order (before the ads came out) that it
wouldnt be usb compatible.  After an hour of building, I cant even program
the thing.  I am more than upset at this point.

Rob

BTW - if anybody coming to BrickFest has an extra usb to serial converter or
a pc card serial port... I am a friend in need indeed!

"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message
After much anticipation it arrived in the mail today.

I don't think I have ever been quite so disapponted by a new Lego release.

Grabbed a pack of AA first thing, gotta get it powered up. It uses two
different sizes, some AA and some AAA. Oh well, just have to run out and • get
some.

What no instructions book! Nope, you think the description in the S@H • catalog
is light on detail - there is no detail!

You have to sit through hours of quick time movies to find out how the • parts
are intended to go together.

After that, it's a microscout all over again, except rather than choose a
program number, you have to download one of half a dozen preprogrammed • ones.
That's it!

And its back to a serial port interface again - no USB, so don't try it • with
any of the new breed of laptops or desktops that don't have "legacy ports"
without going out and buying one of those USB-COM converters.

No programming interface. No description of what you've just bought one • of.
Just a lot of strange beeps and squeaks and two motors making noise.

I often buy sets because I want specific parts. I usually wait til they go
on some kind of a discount first. I am now the proud owner of a set of six
of the very cool new gears to be found in 3806 - Gigamesh. But at $10 • each,
I think
they are also the most expensive ones I've ever bought.

I hope the representative from TLC at BrickFest has a good story to tell,
because I've got a couple of hard questions to ask.

... a very disappointed John Barnes