 Robotics / 18433
Re: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 04:50:17 GMT

In article <GzJ1H7.DKG@lugnet.com>,
"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote:

Does this mean that I will be able to program Spybotics thru the USB (RIS
2.0) tower, instead of the serial tower that comes with Spybotics while
using NQC?

Spybotics doesn't really have a tower, just a cable with a serial
connector on one end and led/phototransistor on the other (which snaps
into the back of the spybotics brick).  It transmits using visible
light, not IR (and I don't think it has any 38kHz modulation).  First
priority for NQC is to program using this link (which means you will
need a serial port).

The Spybotics bricks also have some infrared capability, but I'm not
sure about programming over it.  If it is possible, then I'll add it to
NQC later on, but for now I just want to get a preliminary version
released.

If your computer only has USB, you could buy a USB/serial adapter.  I
think you can find them for around $30.

Dave