 Robotics / 18447
RE: Spybotics - A great disappointment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:08:29 GMT

Hi :)

-----Original Message-----> Of Dave Baum
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2002 4:50 AM
Spybotics doesn't really have a tower, just a cable with a serial
connector on one end and led/phototransistor on the other
(which snaps
into the back of the spybotics brick).  It transmits using visible

So, a bit like MicroScout, it's programmed through the inbuilt LightSensor,
right ?

Can you see if it uses a VLL protocol like CodePilot/MicroScout ?
...that way, any Scout/RCX/CyberMaster could download VLL snipets to it.

One important thing, can the RUN/EXECUTE command be sent through the cable
(unlike CodePilot/MicroScout) or the only way is by pressing a button on the
unit, every time we want to run a program ?

If yes (and assuming it's using a VLL protocol or any other that we can
decode), the Spybotics unit could be a smarter slave to the RCX than the
MANAS unit.

light, not IR (and I don't think it has any 38kHz modulation).  First
priority for NQC is to program using this link (which means you will
need a serial port).

hmmm... doesn't the RIS 2.0 USB IR-Tower has a LED for VLL output ?
Maybe it could be used in that mode.

The Spybotics bricks also have some infrared capability, but I'm not
sure about programming over it.  If it is possible, then I'll
add it to
NQC later on, but for now I just want to get a preliminary version
released.

What is the purpose of the thing that looks like a IR-rc (I think someone
also called it a Beacon) ?
It looks like it has 4 or 5 buttons and a lever or something ?
Could anyone with a Spybotics set shed some light on that object ? :)

And also, is there a way to control mode than one unit at the same time ?
i.e. Can I control the 4 units independently, like the MANAS, where each has
an ID out of possible three (it's like 3 IR channels).

If your computer only has USB, you could buy a USB/serial adapter.  I
think you can find them for around $30.

...or maybe use the usb tower in vll mode.
(I don't own a RIS 2.0 nor a Spybotics *yet* so I can't answer this VLL
question myself.)

Thxs,

mc.