 Robotics / 14356
Re: Walkers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:30:02 GMT

At 6:18 PM -0500 2/13/01, Josh Herman wrote:
I don't know much about mechanics or walkers, but what about a gyro device
that's more stable than a rotational sensor. Surely someone out there would
know how to use one of these to "balance" a walker. Of course this means
powering the gyro to spin constantly...

Josh

The possibilities are endless. I would start with the sensor and move on from there. The stability and accuracy (precision) requirements will depend heavily on the robot configuration. It does not need to have pointed feet like a ballerina (the worse case scenario in the "balanced" category), but you do want to get away from the "moveable base" walker that will not topple at all.

As you point out, the gyro has to be powered, if it is mechanical, but that may not be as big an issue as the rotational sensors problems.

Harley Myler
http://macmyler.engr.ucf.edu