 Robotics / 14373
Re: RIS 2.0 status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:54:59 GMT

Brian Dichter wrote:

on 2/14/01 3:21 PM, Kevin Hayes at kevin-no-spam-bhayes@home.com wrote:

Hmmm... product delay? I wonder if they're not working on some new
additions to the set.

I wonder if that earlier date is correct for some parts of the world.
We've seen the box artwork for the Japanese version of RIS 2.0 havn't
we?

Personally, I find it hard to get all *that* excited about it.  The photos
of the parts lists for the Japanese version seemed to show very little
change from the 1.0 and 1.5 versions.  The *BIG* changes are in the software
(but we already have 2.0 software that runs on 1.0's and 1.5's) - and that
the IR tower is on USB instead of the serial port (which means that straight
off, there won't be a workable NQC and people with older computers are
screwed).

Yeah, maybe this version will come with the voice-activated self-aware,
self-programmable lego bots who will not only make my coffee to perfection
each morning but serve it to me and tell me I'm a good robot-master! 8)

That would kinda spoil the fun though - don't ya think?

Personally, I'm disappointed that they didn't go for something much
more radical for 2.0.   It's such a minor change, it ought to be
RIS 1.6 or something.

I'd still like to see a bunch of small computer bricks that are each
integrated with a single sensor or a motor and which connect via some network
like I2C or something and take power from a central battery box so that
you could have unlimited numbers of motors and sensors and unlimited
computer power.  I *really* hate the 3 motor + 3 sensor limitations
of the RCX.

An expandable setup like that would make the computing side of
Mindstorms be much more like Lego bricks themselves - open to
infinite exapansion possibilities.  They could still make low
end 'toys' like microscout - but just add an I2C connector to it.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>