 Robotics / 14406
Re: Walkers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 02:06:27 GMT

Has anyone considered adapting one of the tiny gyros used to stabalize remote
control helicoptors ?
These work by modifying the pulse stream that controls a standard R/C servo.

    - pete.

Josh Herman wrote:

I don't know much about mechanics or walkers, but what about a gyro device
that's more stable than a rotational sensor. Surely someone out there would
know how to use one of these to "balance" a walker. Of course this means
powering the gyro to spin constantly...

Josh

----- Original Message -----
From: Harley Myler <h.myler@myler.org>
To: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
Cc: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: Walkers

At 5:37 PM -0600 2/9/01, Steve Baker wrote:
Harley Myler wrote:

What you really want to ask here is "Has anyone built a 2-legged • walker with balance?".
I would say it is unlikely that one has been built, but certainly not • impossible.
For a balancing mechanism you need position sensing, which could be • done with a
rotary (distance) counter and a pendulum.

I tried that in my attempts to build a two wheeled robot (as in a • bicycle)...but
the problem with rotation sensors (as has been discussed *extensively* • before)
is that it drops or gains counts sometimes when it's being rotated • slowly.

My post was to clarify the walker question, the suggestion of using the • position sensor was just that.

That means that you really have gear up the pendulum's output in order to
spin the rotation sensor quickly - and that gearing slows the swing of • the
pendulum to the point of uselessness...unless it's VERY heavy.

I had better luck with a two-coloured pendulum and a light sensor...but
there were many other problems - and I never did get it to work.

The walker problem is not trivial, as you've discovered.

Incidentally, the way most bipeds walk is by leaning forwards so their
Center of gravity is ahead of their feet - and then sticking out a foot
to prevent themselves from falling.  It follows that balancing the robot
may not be the best strategy here.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>

That is a correct observation, but no one wants a walker that can't stop • and smell the roses--for that you need balance.

Harley Myler
http://macmyler.engr.ucf.edu

--
Pete Sevcik     sevcik@flash.net