 Robotics / 14058
Re: CM-RCX comm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:17:37 GMT

"What's new":

1) I'm still waiting for my RIS 1.0 (hopefully +2 weeks) + Update to 1.5
so, everything I do still uses the Out<->In of a CyberMaster, comunicating
with itself (the poor thing).

2) I ordered also a Dark Side MicroScout, for VLL output tests and proper
calibration, so I have a "standard" VLL input device to compare things. I'd
like to have a CodePilot, but can't find one "cheap" :(

3) I'm currently using the Timer() in my VLL input algorithm to measure the
time between input impulses and recognize the 1's and 0's of VLL. The CM
and RCX timers have 10ms resolution, and for standard VLL I need 100ms
resolution, so until I have my RCX with a RIS 2.0 firmware that supports
FastTimer() with 100ms resolution, I had to creat a SlowVLL version, 10
times slower than standard VLL protocol.

4) I'm working on the best way to deal with standard VLL and SlowVLL
output, trying to find an elegant/eficient/memory friendly way to cope with
diferent possible scenarios like:
   RCX/RCX2/CyberMaster(out)->standard VLL->(in)RCX2/MicroScout/CodePilot
   CyberMaster/RCX/RCX2(out)->SlowVLL->(in)CyberMaster

5) There's still one possibility I must explore, and that is the use a n++
counter, pre-calibrated with Timer() and divided by 10. But I don't think
it'll work, because it depends on CPU ticks beeing equally used by the 4
threads. Oh well, I'll try it anyway.

Warning: This, like all my other projects, has a very slow progress index.
That's the problem of doing many things at the same time :>

mc.