 Robotics / 13764
Re: proximity detection with laser?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:42:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Marco C." <marco@soporcel.pt> writes:
One of the things I'm intending to do is to put two light sources in the
robot and measure the distance between the (if available) two reflection
"points" (or er... auras)

It should work better with laser source, of course. But then, using laser,
there would be no need for two. One vibrating horizontally, drawing an
horizontal "fixed" length line could do the job. The length of the
reflected line would give the aproximate distance.

But, because a have no lasers, I thought of using the 1st technic.

I haven't had the time (nor a camera) to test this. My camcorder was big
and... errr... it's gone to the camcorders heaven.

In my current project, I mount a wireless camera on top of the mobile robot,
to look for barcode tags as the landmarks. The idea is: In the computer it
stores a topological map of the locations of each barcode tags. A typical
session:

    I: Robot, go to barcode #5.
    Robot: Ok. First I have to locate barcode #1... Good, now I have to
proceed to #2... Good, I will turn left here and proceed to #3... Oh, no!
Why is #6 here? I must have overshot. Now, turn around...

I am also using CyberMaster instead of RCX, because everything is done
off-board, and I need to maintain constant communication between the robot
and the PC.

However, CyberMaster does not support many types of sensors. For some time I
have been toying with the idea of switching to Handy Board, so I can have
more choices on the distance measuring devices (sonar, IR, etc.).

This is why this laser idea is so attractive to me. I have already had the
hardware and the off-board image processing software in place, and now I
just need to arm the robot with two additional laser guns.

I intend to get a Vision Command (since I don't own a webcam) as soon as my
new RIS 1.0 arrives.

All the robotics stuff I've done so far was with a CyberMaster pbrick.

As soon as I finish my project of CM<->RCX communication, I'll start
working on this subject of distance measuring through vision. Be it with
light/laser sources, or landmark analisys... whatever works best.

I am confused here.

On one hand, if your robot is now tethered to the PC (for the camera),
wireless communication is no longer important, so maybe you can switch to
RCX completely?

On the other hand, if you want to stick to CyberMaster, now the image goes
from the camera to the PC, then the PC sends commands to the CyberMaster.
Everything is fine. Why does CyberMaster need to talk to RCX?

In its simplest form, the laser beams out a single dot. The camera picks up
the position of the dot, then we calculate the distance to the obstacle by
triangulation.

Wouldn't the "one dot" technic be more dificult to compute (and more
inacurate) ?

I was thinking about those IR-based distance measuring sensors from Sharp.
(See <http://www.sharp.co.jp/ecg/opto/products/f-osd.html>.) They did it
with only one dot.

But of course you are right, two dots simply things a lot.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang