 Robotics / 13751
Re: proximity detection with laser?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:26:28 GMT

At 22:48 04-01-2001 GMT, Hao-yang Wang wrote:
The following idea just came into my mind. Will it work?
Put a video camera and a laser projector on the mobile robot. The laser
projector beams out a pattern of light. The camera picks up the pattern,
then we deduce the robot's proximity by analyzing the size and shape of the
pattern, as seen from the camera.

One of the things I'm intending to do is to put two light sources in the
robot and measure the distance between the (if available) two reflection
"points" (or er... auras)

It should work better with laser source, of course. But then, using laser,
there would be no need for two. One vibrating horizontally, drawing an
horizontal "fixed" length line could do the job. The length of the
reflected line would give the aproximate distance.

But, because a have no lasers, I thought of using the 1st technic.

I haven't had the time (nor a camera) to test this. My camcorder was big
and... errr... it's gone to the camcorders heaven.

I intend to get a Vision Command (since I don't own a webcam) as soon as my
new RIS 1.0 arrives.

All the robotics stuff I've done so far was with a CyberMaster pbrick.

As soon as I finish my project of CM<->RCX communication, I'll start
working on this subject of distance measuring through vision. Be it with
light/laser sources, or landmark analisys... whatever works best.

In its simplest form, the laser beams out a single dot. The camera picks up
the position of the dot, then we calculate the distance to the obstacle by
triangulation.

Wouldn't the "one dot" technic be more dificult to compute (and more
inacurate) ?

Marco C. aka McViper
Work mailto:mcviper@geocities.com
Home mailto:mcviper@clix.pt