 Robotics / 13742
13741  |  13743
Subject:
proximity detection with laser?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:48:32 GMT

The following idea just came into my mind. Will it work?

Put a video camera and a laser projector on the mobile robot. The laser
projector beams out a pattern of light. The camera picks up the pattern,
then we deduce the robot's proximity by analyzing the size and shape of the
pattern, as seen from the camera.

In its simplest form, the laser beams out a single dot. The camera picks up
the position of the dot, then we calculate the distance to the obstacle by
triangulation.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang