 Publishing / 993
Re: Lego at Gerf.Org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:50:26 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
Note that trademarks usually are limited to the market domain (both
region covered by the market, and the product set) of the trademark.
Thus, using LEGO in association with construction toys is an
infringement of TLG's trademark. Using LEGO to in association with

Actually, I think that the goods/services class system is an extremely good
reason for not allowing trademarks to have anything to do with domain (or
host) names. Since there's no way from looking at a domain/host name to tell
what content -- if any -- might be possibly hosted at that site, the name
can't be an infringement in and of itself. Furthermore, this is a _fan_
site, not selling or endorsing anything, and therefore doesn't fit into a
class at all.

As a consumer, I really appreciate that when I form a host name out of a
company name, 9 times out of 10, I get that companies web site. Imagine
if instead, 9 times out of 10 you got a competitor's site? What if
lego.com pointed to a porno site?

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com