 Publishing / 967
Re: Lego at Gerf.Org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:36:34 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Joe Unwashed has about a 50% chance(2) of thinking lego.gerf.org is somehow
related to TLG.

The problem is that this really is a new medium. The people who wrote the
Fair Play statement don't seem to understand it completely, but what they do
say actually is pretty reasonable. Although I've got issues with connecting
DNS and trademark law in general, I'm willing to compromise. [1] But
claiming that any trademarked word/phrase can't be used as a host name is a
really bad precedent -- it's amazing how many things are trademarked! We'd
basically have a throwback to not having any DNS at all, as people are
forced to come up with more and more random terms. It's a pretty small
namespace, really.

I'm writing this message from a computer named "jadzia". Guess what? That's
a trademarked term of Paramount. And that's just a fairly uncommon name.
They've also trademarked "Quark", so don't name anything that. Or "Q". Or
"Paramount", for that matter.

It's foolish to let corporate interests (even those of companies we love)
take away a whole chunk of language from normal people just because the
technology isn't widely understood.

If they don't want people to be confused, they should educate people. If
"Joe Unwashed" understood the concepts, there wouldn't be a problem. Sure,
it's a lot easier for them to try to destroy the naming system, but it's not
right.

So, I'm willing to accept Lego's Fair Play policy as it stands. But I don't
think people should go out of their way to interpret it more strongly than
what it says. And I think [2] that Lego shouldn't attempt to enforce
anything beyond what they've written.

[1] I've got serious issues with the concept of scope and class as it
applies to the Internet. Current intellectual property law really does not
scale.

[2] Lawyers notwithstanding