 Publishing / 964
Re: Lego at Gerf.Org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:37:58 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Maybe what they mean is simply 'lego' appearing anywhere between the initial
'http://' and the first standalone '/', i.e.
  http://in.this.area/but/not/in/this/area

Well maybe. But they certainly don't say that!

And, to beat the proverbial deceased large solid-hoofed herbivorous mammal a
bit more, they _do_ say that what they're concerned with is confusion over
just who owns/sponsors the site. It only takes an elementary understanding
of the system to realise that lego.blah.org is something connected with
blah, not with lego. I hope that that is fairly common knowledge these days.

Look. I think people are basically good and smart and all that. (1) But
I think you're presuming a bit much about Joe Unwashed and his knowledge
of the nuances of domain names.

Joe Unwashed has about a 50% chance(2) of thinking lego.gerf.org is
somehow related to TLG. That's just the way it is. Matt, you're smarter
than most of the rest of us (3) but I think you're wrong about this, as
is Dr. What.  Just my opinion.

Back when they forced the legowww.homepages.com site to shut down, the
lawyers obviously didn't understand that. Maybe I'm giving lawyers too much
credit :) but I hope that with the explosion of the internet that's happened
since then, they have a better grasp now.

I think that most reasonable people wouldn't be confused. Maybe I'm giving
most people too much credit.

Yes. Reasonable people, and especially lawyers.

1 - if you didn't know I think that you haven't been paying attention to
.debate. Probably a wise move on your part, but still... try to keep up.
:-)

2 - I sprung this question on 4 people who fit the profile. 2 were
confused.

3 - Except Mad Hatter, he's smarter than all of us. Just ask him.

lugnet.