 Publishing / 949
Re: Lego at Gerf.Org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:31:15 GMT

Naji Norder <n.norder@computer.org> wrote:
I wouldn't say that they are entirely different things.  A domain name is
any old DNS entry.  Some DNS entries just happen to point to a particular
host machine.  From a domain name standpoint, there really is no major
difference.

There may be no functional difference, but they're very different things.
A domain name certainly _isn't_ any old DNS entry. A DNS entry can be a lot
of things -- an MX record, a CNAME, etc. Some DNS entries are for host names.
Those get A records, telling the address. Others are for domain names. Those
get NS records, saying what nameserver knows about that domain. Sometimes,
one name happens to be both things -- in fact, very often these days.
(That's technically incorrect, but I think common usage has made it less
so.)

[followup-to lugnet.publish]