 Publishing / 953
Re: Lego at Gerf.Org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:57:12 GMT

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
It then goes on to mention domain names specifically, but an internet address
consists of more than just a domain name.

Sure, an "Internet Address" consists of a number. So that's pretty
meaningless. Or, if you want to interpret more broadly, than maybe they mean
URL. Uh-oh then:

  <URL:http://www.lugnet.com/legoland/>

or

  <URL:http://www.lugnet.com/?q=lego>

or even

  <URL:http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=lego>

are against the rules. I don't think they mean that -- not only is it too
strict, it makes it hard to be descriptive, and description is fair use of a
trademark, as I understand it. So what do they mean? For guidance, we've got
to turn to the last sentence, where they use "domain name", implying pretty
strongly that that's what they mean when they say "Internet Address".

As I said before, the point is that they're concerned that domain names
which contain "lego" will confuse people. Okay, that's fair. But people
shouldn't be confused if the host name or another part of the URL contains
those letters. I think the dot-com people Todd was going on about have
pretty clearly fixed in people's minds that "____.com" is the important
part, showing what company or whatever is involved. So I don't think that
there should be a problem with confusion, at least amoung reasonable people.

Seriously, we all seem to be people with a basic understanding of things.
There was just a thread on this the other day. When we see new second-level
domains springing up containing "lego", we get interested.
If legocollectorsedition.com suddenly appeared, we'd all get excited about
what TLG must be up to. By contrast, when lego.gerf.org appears, people
worry that gerf.org might be getting some legal attention -- but no one was
confused and mistook them for anything official.

And that's the whole point, isn't it?