 Publishing / 963
Re: Lego at Gerf.Org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:33:42 GMT

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 05:02:38PM +0000, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.publish, Matthew Miller writes:
Mike Timm <mtimm@usinternet.com> wrote:
Nice idea overall, but bad idea on the domain name.

"Gerf" doesn't sound even remotely connected to LEGO. Their policy states
that you shouldn't use Lego as part of the _domain name_, which it isn't in
this case. "lego" is the _host name_, which is an entirely different thing.

Gerf, pronounced with a hard "G", is un-related.  I will not contact them
to ask their permission for this domain as I don't want to know their
answer.  Their rules about "internet addresses" are vague (is
www.gerf.org/~lego not allowed?  How about lego@gerf.org?).  I don't
really want to play with their lawyers.

(Worst case scenerio: legot.gerf.org, geez.)

Granted, their policy also talks about "an internet address", but that's an
extremely vague term. But the last sentence of the relevant paragraph
clarifies: it would be misleading to use "lego" in the domain name.

TLG shut down a site named  legowww.homepages.com  in 1995.

Do we have more history on that?  I imagine lego just bullied
homepages.com.  Not a possible tactic here, I *own* gerf.org.

I have comments stating that I am unrelated to lego, and I think I'll go
add that to my copying/trademarks page....

Thanks for the advice....where *is* my lawyer....

Ciao!

--
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"
--Winston Zeddmore (Ghostbusters)

The Doctor What: Second Baseman                  http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC