 Pirates / 3218
  My Ships

I just recently posted my 2-gun, two masted Brig and a Viking ship I did on Brickshelf. Please let me know what you think. I really enjoy building ships, I am currently doing 9 more single masted cutters. My link is: (URL) will bring my Pirate fleet (...) (21 years ago, 26-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) wow! good job! i like the Viking and the Brig! (but i thought brigs had two masts....) well, im trying to put together a pirate like fleet, only its british. it contains: 1 brig, 2 cutters, 1 bomb ketch, 1 sloop and 1 frigate. maby i can (...) (21 years ago, 26-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) Look again, the Brig has two masts. (...) what does a bomb ketch look like? My fleet has American, British, French, Dutch/German and Spanish crews. No pix yet. (...) Thanks, when I get more parts, I will convert my other Viking ship to look (...) (21 years ago, 26-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) Oh, sorry. i looked again and i see it has two masts. a bomb ketch is a cumbersome ship that has only three guns on each side. its sails are large and unweildy. lugsails, i think they are called. however, its main armorment is two large (...) (21 years ago, 26-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) I like the viking galley! Do you have plans for a small english village to raid? (The sail design looks more germanic than viking to my limited knowledge of such things - is it of scandinavian origin?) Cheers Richie (21 years ago, 26-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) Blockade Port Brique? At the moment, it's missing a flagship, the light frigate /Eponine/ having recently been sunk. A replacement is currently under construction, but if you get in quickly, you'll only have the 12 gun brig /Madame Thenardier/ (...) (21 years ago, 26-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) <snip> (...) Here's a link to a scale model of a bomb ketch: (URL) bomb ketch is rigged as a ship, but without a formast (ketch = 2 masts). Possibly converted from a frigate or sloop, but more likely purpose built. Historically, ketch's were (...) (21 years ago, 26-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) Yeah, i know its not for ship action. Like in Hornblower, he uses his bomb ketchs to rip apart a french corvette-privateer at anchor in a bay. my purposes for a bomb ketch is that the Privateer fleet in my storyline-well, its base is the wreck (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) Thanks for the Bomb Ketch pictures! that is going to be about the size of it...in fact, almost none of my ships will be bigger then that. However, i think i could handle the ships you have in harbor. because, here is my fleet: The British (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

Hi Don, Great work on the Viking raider -- like Richie says, it'd be great to see in in action! Who knows, a good shallow-draught landing boat could be useful in a multinational fleet... really good for getting up rivers, as I'm pretty certain (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) But the French Squadron of Port Brique has the advantage of consisting of a brig and a pair of chase maries (sloops in the modern sense of sloop) assisted by three single cannon sailing gunboats. And they have the even bigger advantage of not (...) (21 years ago, 27-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) blockade, and rot on patrol? (...) Ah, threatening. but more likely just a pose. Why do you think i chose to have a fleet of small, almost tiny ships? with perhaps five marines each? not just because i have a shortage of bricks. My ketch can (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) Out of range of what, exactly? Port Brique has mortars and long guns too. And if a ketch is bobbing about off the coast lobbing shells at the Port, it's a relativeling easy matter to dispatch a ship or two to teach it a lesson ;-) (...) If (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) My frigate and Sloop can make short work of most of what you can send out. besides, i can dash out to sea, making you follow. and you never know what i could be planning, then.... Mu hahahaah! (...) You continue to forget the efficiency of the (...) (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) But why should he dash out? It'll bee just like you running away if not. (...) But it's pretty hard to get into a harbor without going through some guard ships. And twenty marines in an unfilimiar armed city against sixty-something marines (...) (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) You reckon? How many guns between them? And not little six pound pea shooters, but real guns? (...) Mu hahahaha? Is that the sound of an Englishman drowning? :-) (...) Yes, yes, you can sail around like a squadron of angry mosquitos, but what (...) (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) Six carronades, two twenty four pounders, and about two dozen nine pounders. i can pack a pretty good punch with those. count in the brig..that adds around eight, ten more nine pounders to the bunch. (...) More like an englishman berzerk with (...) (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Lobsters and Frogs debate...

(...) Dash out- here is why. i know that i dont stand a chance in a ship-to-ship broadside-to-braodside action with Port Briques ships. so, i dash out to sea with them on my tail, leave em behind, poke my head out ever once and a while, taking pot (...) (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Ships (was Re: My Ships)

(...) Which is a pity... there have been a few, though. The big issue is hulls - the LEGO hulls are not wide enough to render a ship of the line easily. Lots of people have considered cutting them though... and I recall a claim that it had been done (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) <snip> (...) Oops. My apologies. It's just that there are so many Hornblocks, Hornbricks, Hornblockers and Hornbrickers around the place, I lose track. You'd almost think the English lacked imagination! ;-) <snip> (...) Of course it does! (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Ships (was Re: My Ships)

(...) I must agree... though I'm sure their majesty makes up for that ; ). I remain determined to one day build a 74 in 1 stud=1 foot, but there are *many* hurdles to overcome before I get there. Multiple gundecks SNOTed being one of them... I'll (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Lobsters and Frogs debate...

Gentlemen, I've been watching this debate develop for a while... forgive my lengthy and belated commentary. (...) Ahh, dangerous words, those: "perfect plan"... a change in wind or bad luck on a reef and its bad business for the British. Though if (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Lobsters and Frogs debate...

(...) True, True. if the seas got ugly, everything could go haywire. but, if you want to be succesful-gotta take those risks, dont you? (...) i have not forgot that, the rule about grounding. but i am not taking my ships in-well, a cutter might do, (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Lobsters and Frogs debate...

Ahoy, I wasn't going to reply... but: (...) Freeboard is the distance from the waterline to the gunnels (or from waterline to weather deck on a ship). Vessels with little freeboard tend not to do well in rough seas. Cheers Richie Dulin (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: My Ships

(...) That's a lot of ships! I really like the Viking ship ... it looks so "busy", really gives the feel that something is going on (or at least, as much as little living Lego people could get on :)) Jeff Benson jbenso1@towson.edu (21 years ago, 7-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Building a Ship of the Line (was Re: Ships (was Re: My Ships))

(...) <snip> (...) While I still think the big issue is hulls, I was dissassembling an Ogel underwater base last night, and have begun wondering about (URL) as the basis for a big ship. Not that the Misérable isn't big enough for me at the moment, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Building a Ship of the Line (was Re: Ships (was Re: My Ships))

(...) The very same idea occured to me when I was building HMS Flame the first time – I was trying to approximate the forward hull of a smooth-lined ship, and I had four of those from an aqua set of some sort... my problem came in trying to get (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.pirates)