 Pirates / 3255
Re: Lobsters and Frogs debate...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:08:20 GMT

Ahh, dangerous words, those: "perfect plan"... a change in wind or bad luck
on a reef and its bad business for the British. Though if our infamous
friend USS Constitution taught us anything, it's that kedging can be a
cruiser's best friend.

True, True. if the seas got ugly, everything could go haywire.
but, if you want to be succesful-gotta take those risks, dont you?

I'm rather certain Mr. Dulin was completely unaware of the Hornblocker book
of strategies... actually, that one is rather ironic given our chosen
building medium -- "don't lock into..."

Best not to forget that ships can ground at night. I prefer cutting out
expeditions myself, but you know your crews.

i have not forgot that, the rule about grounding. but i am not taking my ships
in-well, a cutter might do, but ill try to avoid it. but ships boats will
probably not ground-and, if they do, they can be shoved off.
Yes, everyone is totally unaware of my strategies exept my freind, Jimmy
Toland. he found out that sometimes what i do is not what im really doing...

My expedition in the Azores should prove interesting. ill use that as a
training mission for my soon-to-be blockade of Port Brique! okay, not blockade,
but i can make myself a pain to port brique...

I agree entirely, especially given the geography of Port Brique's
waterfront. Could be a nasty trap if Frech cavalry find alleys useful, and
horrid for lobsters if they get caught on the harborfront and French ships
open fire. Not to forget the fact that, while Royal Marines are steady,
French Infantry are... formidable. I'd cut out ships first... though guard
boats are perpetually troublesome.

I will deal with the ships first- since my tactics work better with ships then
with men- and then make an attempt at the harbor itself.

Like that time the two frigate Captains surprised that French port... was it
in the East Indies? Memory fails me. But I must caution, clandestine
operations can get good crews hung, and they surely failed for a yound
Midshipman with a name similar to Hornblower, when attempting to confuse the
Spanish. And I imagine the Port Brique commanders have a good idea of the
nightly boat routine of their small port.

this is why i have cutters. you wouldnt think i would attack without knowing
what i was doing, would you?

Caution, I believe he's got light horse and voltigeurs. They're unpleasant,
and while Marines are steady... well, I've said it before: beware.

Ah, i assume this is where my other trick comes in.
So- they are unpleasant. hence, my men run. and because of that, there will be
a rather bad suprise for the Frenchmen when they follow....

It might be counterproductive to spread out your twenty marines out when
you're attacking. Presumably, you'd have an objective in mind... and that
leads to force concentration. Sticky issue, best worked out in planning.

No. it would be impossible and rather stupid on my part to have my men go
horns-to-horns with the french. id get beaten. but, if im spread out, throwing
musket balls at the frenchies, constantly reatreating and changing position- i
would have a much better chance at the frenchies.

And while 3-pounders are handy, horse-drawn 6-pounders weilded by the
formidable French infantry are quite unpleasant in themselves. I'd recommend
landing light and avoiding getting bogged down with a duel of field guns.

yeah. i was thinking that too. i like small, quick forces, and not huge armys.

?

I'd have to disagree. A good British line batallion would match a good
French column any day, I assure you. A file of Marines can be fragile in the
open. Remember, three rounds a minute for those well drilled in tap-loading.
I'd put steady marines at two, considering their heavy muskets. Granted,
they'd do well with bayonets, but beware open spaces -- that would play
right into the hands of steady French infantry, horse, and artillery.

I know. im perfect at "bush warfare". as i have stated, i dont want to come
face to face with the Frenchmen.
and, i dont have a british battalion. i have only three or four dozen marines.

To be fair, that may be something of a misconception brought on by
hindsight. Much of France was swept up in Napoleon's grandeur; he was their
salvation after the Bourbons and the Jacobins -- and he was quite
successful. Keep in mind, he could continually fill armies numbering in the
hundreds of thousands, and while I find myself displeased by his casual
opinion of losing them --"What are 10 000 men to me?" -- he remained
France's icon.

true. but, thousands of the people under boneys conrol-that were not frenchies-
did get tired of fighting. and many frenchmen did too. mostly because: at
almost every engagement, Wellington won.
oh, and another hint on my tactics: bonaparte didnt do well in russia, did he?

To be fair, that may be something of a misconception as well. I've read
things suggesting Press Gangs were far less... militant than might be
thought. Often, it wasn't "beat-and-grab" so much as "threaten and usher
with clubs at the ready" ; )

true. and cut waistbands.

As I said before, the commander best knows the mood of his crews.

Really tough to say on that point; French Navies were traditionally
reasonably well crewed, but after Nelson things did... change. Mainly they
suffered from blockade, and the inability to train at sea. Doesn't seem to
be a problem for the Port Brique sailors, so one must temper confidence with
caution.

yes- not a problem for port brique. they havnt known blockade. so, i think that
orders to stopping that will be appropriet.

Lord Sir... hmm... I'd be inclined to suggest 'Commodore the Lord
Horblocker, Knight of the Order of the Bath' (this is where aides tend to
prattle on about lengthy lists of accomplishments). A freeboard, eh... poor
HMS Captain... though that's half a century later.

what is a freeboard!?

No jeune ecole people here! Only once did two frigates carry a French 74...
Droits de le Homme? Abysmal, my French... sad, becuase I'm Canadian... in
any case, that was Sir Edward Pellew with two Razees (Indefatigable, Amazon,
both cut down 64s) and the French vessel couldn't bring all her guns to
action because of heavy weather and the thousand-or-so French infantry
aboard. Trying to invade Ireland... sheesh!

i dont want anything larger then a 74. and, im at a loss of bricks to build and
man a 74.

I like cutters, myself. Handy little ships... if they stay away from ships
of the line. Well, unless it happens to be Lord Cochrane and a Spanish ship
of the line. But that doesn't count for so many reasons...

ill keep my cutters, but your points here about frigates are the exact reasons
why i want one, and not some huge blundering three-decker.

Don't forget Victory. She sailed as handily as a 74 and was known to run
down frigates in her day. That'd be a depressed frigate Captain, I'd wager.
I don't care how many 24-pounders you stuff into a 44-gun ship, 98 guns make
for bad days.

well, yeah. i am not forgetting the Victory. the thing is is that i like speed.
every tactic i have is based on speed. i do not like to stay for lengthy combat.

I don't see very many ship-of-the-lines here on Lugnet.  :)
i can see why.

Not many of us can build them yet, though I haven't given up the dream!
There are some excellent specimens, though... Floater, Diadem, and a
Korean-built ship:

This is an interresting little debate.  Keep it up, as long as it stays civil.

Pray God so, sir!

ill try to keep it at that.

Coming soon... John Blockford's mercenary force
http://jhkruer.com/piratet.jpg

Cant wait

To aid the highest bidder, or higher thinker.  Money is the biggest
motivator.  :)
-JHK
Cash or cheque? Admiralty is (as ever) facing difficulties being as
omnipotent as their lordships might like.

Ill see what prize money i can get from the Azores. maby ill hire you! :)

I must ask, what year is Mr. Hornblocker deploying in? His prevailing status
at see strikes me as post-Trafalgar (a good time to be a British sailor, as
Saumarez would attest). Reminds me of Captain Richard Dacres, of HMS
Guerrier, frigate (38), on the North American station, in 1812.

I have changed hornblocks name to Hornriker. pronounced: Horn- Rike- Er.
Mr.Dulin is correct- there are far to many hornblockrickherish characters round
here.

Hornriker was in the Battle of the Nile as a midshipman. at the time of
Trafalgar he was battleing spanish galleys. it is now eleven years after
trafalgar. i have skipped a decent bit of his coreer to get on to him being a
commodore.

If you're ever in the North Atlantic, Brickley's Cover is not posh but it's
well suited to light craft, and it's imminently British.

Pax Britannia!

Kenneth Tam
Brickley's Cove
http://members.rogers.com/brickleyscove/Home.htm