 People / 4581
Re: lowering noise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 00:23:42 GMT

I don’t consider it respectful and nor did Todd or Lenny from what I could see. I find the whole thread very distasteful and would be very unhappy to see more like it. Out of interest do you find this post respectful?

I hadn’t seen that thread, but having just looked at it I have to agree with Kelly-- Mark was not flaming at all. In the post you cite above I sense Mark’s frustration at the reaction he got from his question, which, while perhaps indelicate, was certainly not flaming.

I find this interesting. I obviously have a different opinion of what constitutes flaming. Calling people “lackeys” seems like flaming to me. As does comparing them to “Baghdad Bob”. Could you explain to me why this is not flaming?

On a further note, if I call you Mark’s lackey now does it constitute flaming? I think it would but you obviously think it wouldn’t so is it my intent that matters or the way you recieve it?

If Mark had shown the same respect as you we would not be in this thread discussing it. In my opinion his post is as much of a form of trolling as any I’ve seen in the Qwelder thread. But as you point out, my opinion is no more valid than his.

Tim

The way it appears to me Mark has asked a simple question (the one that had been asked by Frank and gone unanswered) and you have reacted by bringing up an old and irrelevant thread in which Mark is guilty of nothing more than lack of tact.

The way it appears to me is that Mark is pursuing an agenda (to get other people banned) and reviving a matter which was finished and I have merely pointed out a good reason why bans for ‘flaming’ etc. are a risky business. To add to my argument I brought up the other thread to demonstrate that Mark’s opinion of what constitutes trolling differs from mine (and almost certainly other people’s).

As for being old and irrelevant I beg to differ. Mark believes that participants in an old thread should be brought to justice. If this is true then I would expect it to apply to all old threads, including that one.

   Certainly there is no comparison between it and what has gone on in recent weeks.

Maggie C.

I’m not sure that is certain at all. I consider what Mark did in that thread to be flaming. He considers what people did in the Qwelder thread to be flaming. That is a comparison.

Tim