 People / 4585
Re: lowering noise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 10:40:14 GMT

--SNIP--
   No, I agree with you that he should not have said “Baghdad Bob” and that it serves no good purpose to call someone a lackey. But of *all* the instances of provocation that have occurred over the years on Lugnet I would say this is very minor

I wouldn’t. I would find it very offensive to be called a lackey after telling someone off for something very rude (hijacking a singles ad post to make an argument).

   That you didn’t seem to have as big a problem with that leads me to believe that to you (and many others here) the degree of flaming is a function of the person it comes from.

You have derided the same things as Mark and now defend him, so I think that following your logic the same accusation could be levelled at you. Of course it probably has more to do with the fact that people gravitate towards those with similar values than what you say at the end of your statement.

   On a further note, if I call you Mark’s lackey now does it constitute flaming? I think it would but you obviously think it wouldn’t so is it my intent that matters or the way you recieve it?

If you called me Mark’s lackey I would say that is your inelegant way of expressing displeasure at something I’ve posted. I suspect that is the very reason Mark used the term in the thread you brought up.

I would call it flaming (please note that it was an example and not an actual accusation, I have absolutely no idea of your relationship with Mark) because if I said it then it would be intended as flaming. I wouldn’t say it because it is inelegant and rude but if I did it would be a flame.

--SNIP--

   The way it appears to me is that Mark is pursuing an agenda (to get other people banned) and reviving a matter which was finished and I have merely pointed out a good reason why bans for ‘flaming’ etc. are a risky business. To add to my argument I brought up the other thread to demonstrate that Mark’s opinion of what constitutes trolling differs from mine (and almost certainly other people’s).

I don’t see that at all. And I didn’t see it when Frank posted the question which is a perfectly legitimate one. And that is, can someone address the perceived unevenness of criteria used in deciding to ban people here?

I didn’t see it when Frank posted either which is why I never said anything to Frank. I did see it when Mark bumped the post after a break which is why I did say something to Mark.

   As for being old and irrelevant I beg to differ. Mark believes that participants in an old thread should be brought to justice. If this is true then I would expect it to apply to all old threads, including that one.

The Qwelder thread and its offshoots are not old seeing as people still have questions that were raised in it.

Only to Mark (in public at least). Eric is back posting again now and it looked to me that the situation was over but then Mark decided to chime in with a reminder of a four day old post and his interpretation of what punishment should be meted.

   I’m not sure that is certain at all. I consider what Mark did in that thread to be flaming. He considers what people did in the Qwelder thread to be flaming. That is a comparison.

Tim

Perhaps you do consider it to be flaming. But I think you should know that to a mecha outsider it certainly appears as though what you consider to be tolerable is highly dependent on who is doing the posting.

Maggie

To this outsider it would (if I was inclined to think that way) appear that you are letting your personal relationship with Mark cloud your judgement over what constitutes flaming and letting things go. You tread a difficult logical path when you expect your perceptions to count in an argument which is essentially over whether or not perceptions count and you seem to be supporting the “not” camp.

Tim