 People / 4580
Re: lowering noise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 00:01:34 GMT

In lugnet.people, Timothy Gould wrote:

   I was looking in this past thread and couldn’t find the bit where you called for yourself to be banned in it? Perhaps you could point me to the correct posts.

Although perhaps you don’t consider that flaming?

Actually, that’s not what I consider flaming. The tone was respectful, and seemed to be mostly looking for information. It would be nice if more disagreements were conducted in this type of format.

I don’t consider it respectful and nor did Todd or Lenny from what I could see. I find the whole thread very distasteful and would be very unhappy to see more like it. Out of interest do you find this post respectful?

I hadn’t seen that thread, but having just looked at it I have to agree with Kelly-- Mark was not flaming at all. In the post you cite above I sense Mark’s frustration at the reaction he got from his question, which, while perhaps indelicate, was certainly not flaming.

   Gets a bit difficult when personal opinion is involved.

Yes, it does become difficult. That’s where admin judgment comes in - and the respect of enough of the members of a community to listen to and honor the decisions made by people in charge. By that token, Todd and Suz would have the decision on whether it’s truly a flame or not, regardless of what you or Mark or I think. So, while I don’t think it right that only Eric was suspended for the recent discussions, it was Suz’ decision and I’ll respect that.

Kelly

If Mark had shown the same respect as you we would not be in this thread discussing it. In my opinion his post is as much of a form of trolling as any I’ve seen in the Qwelder thread. But as you point out, my opinion is no more valid than his.

Tim

The way it appears to me Mark has asked a simple question (the one that had been asked by Frank and gone unanswered) and you have reacted by bringing up an old and irrelevant thread in which Mark is guilty of nothing more than lack of tact. Certainly there is no comparison between it and what has gone on in recent weeks.

Maggie C.