Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:02:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Chris Leach writes:
Aftrernoon guys/girls.Tony Hedglen a fellow michlug member(he helped us at
the train show and was at the meeting in Lansing)sent me this email
LMKWYT................

Hey Chris.

I wanted to talk to you about something.

The Catholic churches are trying to build a new youth center so the youth
can go to retreat.

This fund drive, then, is to support religious instruction. While I do
support faith based charities that are providing secular services to those
in need, I can't support this particular one since it is pure and simply...
proselytizing(sp?). I don't support missionary activities.

It sounds like there are enough MICHLUG/LTC members to put something nice
together without me, which is great!

However, I would prefer it not be done under the MICHLUG banner, though, as
it implies that the group supports a particular faith, and that, I think, is
not a good position to be in. We then to be consistent would need to support
other faith based missionary activities as well.

More importantly I would want it not to detract from our other activities
(the con, the GR show) which are club building activities rather than
activities that use club strength to support something else. I am not sure
we are strong enough to do things that are not strength building.

So to reiterate, I think it's great if individual members go off and do
this, but not under the aegis of the club, please.

++Lar

Chris is right. The club should not be some snob fest. (Oh we don’t put on
shows for them.) I’m asking anyone who might like to show off his/her Legos.
I’m not asking for someone to support the Catholic Church. If the person did
that, then he/she would give money to the cause. Since the club is doing
this for free means the club is not supporting the cause. The club is asked
to put on a show. I’m not asking anyone to support the cause. Now if the
club where there selling things and then put some of the money toward the
cause, then that would mean the club supports that certain cause. Don’t
think of it as supporting something think of it as showing off your Legos.
If you don’t want to do this then that’s fine. I don’t think you should give
boundaries to the club based on your own beliefs. This club is open to all
possibilities and the club members can choose for themselves if they want to
participate in an event. Enough said.