 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 73
Re: Yards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:18:01 GMT

Christopher Tracey wrote:

I am trying to design a yard for the next WAMALUG display and I
haven't come up with a decent design yet.  Our previous yards were
ok, but they were lacking in the function department(the switcher couldn't do anything without
crossing the mainline).  So I am
looking for ideas that will fit into an area that is about 10
feet by  3.5 feet(24 tracks by 8 tracks).  I also need to fit
two mainlines(one freight/one passenger), a 48x48stud enginehouse,
and a few other small things.

-where should things like coaling and sanding towers go
-should there be separate yards for the freight and passenger
equipment?
-should i make the yard double ended to allow trains to enter and
leave in different directions? has anyone built a wye in lego?
-what is a good number of storage tracks to have?

What I am looking to build is a prototypical yard that doesn't need
the Hand of God to operate, except for throwing some switches and
occasional uncoupling.

Any suggestions?

-Chris

I've been playing with that as well. I have about 4' by 10' for my entire layout. (Plus a little L
shape on the end 2.5') I've been trying to build a yard that is small but useful. It's been tough.
I've got an idea in the track designer have put it online here:
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego/shuntyard.jpg
The blocks on the end show my spring loaded stoppers.

This is, so far, the best way I've found for the most space. It's not easy with the LEGO points...

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html