 Trains / 5704
Re: Yards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:11:40 GMT

-where should things like coaling and sanding towers go

Near the roundhouse.  Not in the yard

-should there be separate yards for the freight and passenger
equipment?
Usually yes, there would be.

-should i make the yard double ended to allow trains to enter and
leave in different directions? has anyone built a wye in lego?
No, make it single ended, you don't have enough lenght to make it double ended

-what is a good number of storage tracks to have?

As many as you can cram into the space you have, + a few more :)

Need more info.  What are you trying to do?  Store trains or have a 'yard' to
shunt(switch) in?  Can you have a crossover outside of the area given?  (on the
mainline elsewere, but close, say around a corner).  Do you have any 'cut' lego
sections?  (I have some 1/2 pieces of track, homemade and quite handy, as well
as full curve switches).

Lots of variables, need more data.

If you want a simple ladder yard, I would say have it single ended.  It is
easier to cram more trains into the space that way.

You might want to interlace 2 ladder tracks back to back with one another, with
a crossover right before the other ladder...it will cut down on the space
available though...

Have a lead track if you can manage, if you have the space, bring it around one
of the ends, so that the yard has 2-4 feet of track before the switch to the
mainline.

James