 Trains / 5708
Re: Yards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 01:37:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

<snip>

James makes a number of excellent suggestions. Here's what I feel the most
important is (and it's one that non RR's don't know to do), if you plan to do
actual switching, that is, this yard is more than just a staging yard for made
up trains to be off the main line for a while...

Have a lead track if you can manage, if you have the space, bring it around • one
of the ends, so that the yard has 2-4 feet of track before the switch to the
mainline.

James

Personally I would find 5-8 feet of length for the lead if I could. You need to
be able to make up a whole train on it without fouling the main.

++Lar