 Trains / 5719
Re: Yards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:22:50 GMT

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson writes:
leave in different directions? has anyone built a wye in lego?

Can someone please tell me what a wye is?

A wye is a method of reversing the direction of a engine, so that it faces the
other way, like a turntable.
(crude artwork

----------(connetion to mainline, or could be mainline)
  `    '
   `  '

One leg of it must be insulated, so that you can reverse the current in a
model. it is just like a reversing loop in that respect.

James

Now tell me how to make one without using anything that is not lego and without
modifying any lego :)

It is actually possible, you just need to have the legs come in on a
straight so you can make an electrical gap by leaving a 1 stud space
between two pieces of track.

(C)                         (A)
----\-------------x--/----- -> main
     -----\ /-----x--
           /
           | (B)

The "x"s mark the 1 stud gaps. Note that the "\" and "/" on the 2nd row
are quarter circle turns. You need to connect an extra lead from the
controller to a polarity switch, and then make track connections to both
stub leads (B and C).

To use the wye, set the polarity switch so the polarity of B matches the
main. Set turnout A to point to B, and turnout B to point to A. Run the
train into B. Stop. Set turnout C to point to B, set turnout B to point
to C, flip polarity switch. Run train to C. Set turnout C to point to A.
Set turnout A to point to C. Run train to A and back onto the main line.

If you want to turn just the engine, but not the rest of the train, you
can uncouple the train, and leave it on track AB. Then once the engine
is turned, you can reset the polarity switch, and turnout A to point to
B, and back up and pick up your train again.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com