 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8218
Re: Put-up or Shut-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:57:12 GMT

I didn't think you would.  I just wasn't sure how you would decline.  The direct
approach, that's good.

I've been told that I can be very direct.

:)

I think this just points out a difference in philosophy.  I just don't like to
do things half-@$$ed...

but you do anyway's

in the next paragraphs you  go on about your legway can "fly"

clearly your legway can't "fly"  nor can it come as close as this robot:

http://www.geocities.com/technicpuppy/jumpobot/jmpvid.html

it's nice to see a robot that's "poetry in motion".  To have a robot that is
faster, smoother, or performs in a different way from ever other robot is pretty
cool.

for once we agree.  and if that means getting 1/2 the entries for  rtl games that
are bad, we get 1/2 that are fantastic!!

But when half the robots at a contest can't perform the simple [sumo] task of
staying on the platform, well, I have to wonder how advanced the group really
is.

Advanced enough for you to drive 10 hours (one way) to play with the group.

Twice!

Last night, I modified my LegWay so it can fly.  Ok, so it can't do it for very
long.  And when it does fly, it accelerates down at a rate of about 9.8
meters/second^2.  So, even though it "can" fly, I doubt I'll tell people I built
a robot that can fly.  (**it also swims**)

(shakes head)

So, is it better to do a good job at an easy task, or a marginal job at a harder
task?

I guess that's up to you.

lets deconstruct your last sentence:

So, is it better to do a good job at an easy task,

Like you do with sumo?  Many of the games you enter seem to be mainly sumo or line
following.  any one of members could do well with king of the hill, if they had
their entire lego career focusing on the same contest.  if we had to do block
stacking over and over and over, I'd bet iain, or rob could show up with a robot
that could stack blocks in patterns and super heights by the 3rd games.  but we
don't do that.

we continue to force new games to keep the stimulation going.

or a marginal job at a harder task?

Every one of our games is hard.  and the "marginal job" comes from getting only one
shot at it. (two if were really stuck for a game idea)

Chris

back to strongbad.