 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8200
Re: Put-up or Shut-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:59:18 GMT

I've heard many great things about the wonderful Project-X robot (come to think of it,
they all came from Chris) but I have yet to see any robots that would take more than an
hour to build and program.

It really wasn't anything to write home about.  In fact it was a tour de brute
force of Lego robotics.  Chris' building style varies from pool noodle pathetic
(when he's busy) to "driving an M1A2 tank to the supermarket" (when he's not)

Calum,  while what you say is mostly true,  your analogy implies that Brute force is wrong.

Allow me to expand your analogy to show you what I mean.

If I needed a can of infant formula to feed my baby,  I need to buy that at a store.

A mere mortal would walk, take the bus, or drive some family sedan (the subby.)
All these methods will work.  BUT what happens that ONE TIME,  you need that formula and some
invading army is in your way?  OR some act of nature prevents walking? This is where the
power of the TANK comes in.  It will work on time, Every time, in all conditions.

its why I always have a Multi-tool, and flashlight.

Everyone laughed when I had my flashlight at my brothers wedding reception.

BUT at 12:32 AM when a transformer blew and the power went out, I had THE ONLY flashlight in
a windowless ballroom that was used to escort people out and down a flight of curved steps.

You just cant say when you need the extra firepower.

So I drive a tank to the store,  have the road wash out and I'll still be able to feed  my
baby!!

one last point.  exactly what was brute force (ish) about the robot?

I drove 4 sensors, and stomped them across the blocks.

how was that brute force?

:)