 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8203
Re: Put-up or Shut-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:30:29 GMT

Dave K
-who was inspired by Chris's 'bot enuf to go out and buy pnu packs.

People, People.

we're missing the bigger picture here.

I think Calum says it best on the brickfest rules web page; when describing the
whole point to our rtlToronto robot games:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-080803-rules.html

-------------------snip-----------------------

a word about rtltoronto style

rtlToronto began as a bunch of guys challenging each other to friendly Lego design
games. It's never really changed much from that. A quick note about entering an
rtlToronto contest for those not from the Greater Toronto Area: The general idea of
an rtlToronto design competition is not to win. It's to challenge yourself to build,

enter and compete; it's to learn what others have done and how they did it; it's
about having fun. What it's not about is being a dork about rules, thinking of
loopholes to
exploit or being a stickler about miniscule details. So with that in mind-we hope to
see you at BrickFest in Washington, DC!

-------------------------snip--------------------

let me stress this line again:

It's to challenge yourself to build, enter and compete; it's to learn what others
have done and how they did it

Steve, this is why i have absolutely ZERO interest in line following, or sumo.  its
been done, we know how to do it.... lets see if we can push the limits of the brick.

THAT's what this is all about.

dave's quote above hit the nail on the head.

Sure I built a funny steam-engine-looking robot, but it showed off new and different
ways to complete a task. Ways that inspired dave to use Pneumatics.

Its not about who wins that task, its about seeing iain, build a delta robot.  or
Rob, build a non RCX monkey robot.

THAT'S the fun.

Hell, my project X robot used the Cybermaster touch sensors.  the ones with the
built in resistor.  so what.

Well, it inspired Rob to show the WORLD how to use light bricks as an all lego
solution to achieve something similar.

the WORLD benefits from these games and my silly robots.

Ergo, the world can offer me

Cash
Lego
Chocolate