 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8216
Re: Put-up or Shut-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:47:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
But when half the robots at a contest can't perform the simple [sumo] task of
staying on the platform, well, I have to wonder how advanced the group really
is.

Steve, when you build successful robots for: Monkeybars, ProjectX and
Blockstacking, then you can wonder.  I would suggest you try them out on your
own time as a personal challenge.

So, is it better to do a good job at an easy task, or a marginal job at a harder
task?

A marginal job (and marginal doesn't apply to most of the folks in rtlToronto)
at a harder task.  The goal is the challenge.  If the easy task has depth, then
it's worth it to try it again and expand your horizons.  But if it's the same
damn crap over and over again (sumo, line following) then why bother?

It's like taking the same course in school over and over again.

Calum
PS-Steve plays rtlToronto-ball good. :)