 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8214
Re: Put-up or Shut-up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:17:16 GMT

Steve, I'm not going to play your little game.
I "put up" at  EVERY single rtl event.

I didn't think you would.  I just wasn't sure how you would decline.  The direct
approach, that's good.

Steve I understand your frustration at needing good solid competition.
it must be tough to watch what RTL does and see what we do in one city,
that takes most of your country to figure out.

I think this just points out a difference in philosophy.  I just don't like to
do things half-@$$ed...

like David said:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=8201

it's nice to see a robot that's "poetry in motion".  To have a robot that is
faster, smoother, or performs in a different way from ever other robot is pretty
cool.

But when half the robots at a contest can't perform the simple [sumo] task of
staying on the platform, well, I have to wonder how advanced the group really
is.

Last night, I modified my LegWay so it can fly.  Ok, so it can't do it for very
long.  And when it does fly, it accelerates down at a rate of about 9.8
meters/second^2.  So, even though it "can" fly, I doubt I'll tell people I built
a robot that can fly.  (**it also swims**)

So, is it better to do a good job at an easy task, or a marginal job at a harder
task?

I guess that's up to you.

BTW, As Chris has already pointed out, running robots by proxy CAN work.  With
the help of our friend David Schilling, I've had a fair amount of luck in the
Workshop 3D challenges

http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/challenge3.htm
http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/challenge4.htm
http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/challenge5.htm