 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3586
  Robot – Accuracy

I haven’t finished my robot because I couldn’t get repeatable accuracy from the rotation sensors. I tried various solutions but nothing was giving me the accuracy I wanted. It was driving me nuts! I switched over to touch sensors, combined with a (...) (22 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) What do you mean by tooth? As in variability of a width of a tooth (ie, roughly 2mm wide (I mean, 1/8" of an inch or so :)) or like consistently on the top of the tooth? Calum (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) On the top of the tooth....within 1/16th of an inch...every time. On top of that, my x-axis is the heaviest component (carries the Y-axis) and is driven 3:1 to the rack. (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) excellent..... (drum fingers) Now, as soon as that "accident" happens to Dereks robot I will be unstoppable!!! moo ha ha ha -- Chris Pretend this says something funny (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) As usual, I don't think you quite get it...I have near perfect accuracy combined with speed. I think I could actually increase the speed and still maintain the accuracy (to the top of single tooth). I'm quite pleased...although, I know only (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) Sure you do Bruce, Sure you have accuracy on your X axis. but you still have to build the Y axis and the EOAT. THEN you have to code it. then DEBUG it. THEN if i know you, you will want to bring it to work to have your minions re-code it (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) You know Chris, I think I have just as much fun taking shots at you as I do planning for the demise of your robot (and Dave's and Derek's and the rest of you....that ought to start something). FYI, I have the Y-axis built (I will have to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) WELL, truth be told, what Derek told us really scared me. from my current speed of (bleep) the thought of having to shave off 4 more seconds.... I just knew I could NOT do it in software. i took a look at my code and i can safely say that ALL (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) To (mis)quote the IBM commercial: "That's when it hits you: You are so beat by Bruce." :) If it makes you feel better, I have disassembled pretty well all of the xEmployees entry to increase sensor resolution, gearing ratios, EOAT speeds and a (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) this is my plan. I want to SLOW the entire thing down, and start to display data on the LCD. Bruce suggested to me that maybe some "stack" is not mis behaving. So a question to the Group. if a v 1.0 RCX that is always powered by an official (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot Accuracy

So I have revamped Runamok 'Bot with 40 tooth gears for a great speed increase. And the rotation sensors are still accurate at this increased speed. Now, however, the light sensor misses--could be the codeing or the light conditions in my room--so (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) And what do you think keeps your code alive when you turn the RCX off? As for a stack problem, this would only happen when the RCX is executing your code. Whenever you download a program the memory is autmatically cleared. The stack idea is (...) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot Accuracy

(...) increase. (...) That is the biggest problem I have. Even with my anti-external light shell (see here: (URL) I still need to adjust the value between day time and night time testing. (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot – Accuracy

(...) ummm, magic?? :) -- Chris Pretend this says something funny (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot - Accuracy

(...) There's a reason why it's inaccurate at slow speed, and a fix (requires taking apart the sensor and some soldering!) here (URL) (22 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot Accuracy

(...) As one who made it a self-imposed design condition to exclude active sensors (and multiple RCX's, and - where possible - anything made after 1975) I am truely insulted. Having said that, I too have hit a wall. After almost 8 weeks of almost (...) (22 years ago, 14-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot Accuracy

(...) Dave...Dave...Dave What the heck is wrong with touch sensors?? I'd use a temperature sensor if I thought it would help. With that kind of thinking, you better get used to the concept of 3rd place (at best!)...Matthias and I will be taking (...) (22 years ago, 15-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot Accuracy

(...) Bruce this is just the kind of thinking I like to hear. With ideas like this I am SURE to take FIRST place. you and your temperature sensor can have 8th or 9th. just ahead of Calum and his Official lego palm tree robot. -- Chris I can see (...) (22 years ago, 15-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot Accuracy

(...) Funny you mention the palm tree bot...I can clearly remember Calum's robot from the first contest I went to. As I recall, it was fast and sorted marbles like crazy (with his patented 'Sara Sort'...at the time I thought this was some kind of (...) (22 years ago, 15-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot Accuracy

(...) HA, good luck. my place is to WIN this thing then be a sore winner and rub your nose in it. You may have a robot BUT I'm STILL waiting to see you even mention your speed. Why Bruce? (...) YOUR RIGHT!!! I'll win this contest because for the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Robot - Accuracy

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message news:GrGMsq.Mqq@lugnet.com... (...) I (...) named Pat. LMFGDARO. MAN I missed you guys. Iain (22 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)