 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3613
Re: Robot Accuracy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:13:49 GMT

The major debate is whether or not to wimp out and drop down to you lowly
touch sensor types for positioning or stick with the wonderful rotation sensors.

As one who made it a self-imposed design condition to exclude active
sensors (and multiple RCX's, and - where possible - anything made
after 1975) I am truely insulted.

Having said that, I too have hit a wall. After almost 8 weeks of
almost flawlessly picking up blocks, my gripper has decided, quite
suddenly I might add, to turn block placing into an Olympic shot-put
event. My design involves having two equally balanced elastics on the
left and right arms  to apply equal pressure to the sides of the
block. I think I stretched one of them slightly. I'm having a hell of
a time trying to find a matching pair. A mis-matched pair is o.k. if
you don't mid taking the time to let it find it's center at the bottom
of the stroke (and the added feature that, on the movement up to the
rest position, it nudges the block toward the middle), but if I go too
fast, either the act of lowering the block, or the nudge becomes
enough to land the block on the wall (25% of the time anyway).
Fortunately, I can lift a block high enough to get over this, but it's
still a setback.

Anyway, It's Valentine's Day, so remember:

Nothing says "I Love You"

Like a fresh box of LEGO.

Matthias Jetleb
(who spent close to two hours this afternoon trying to track down a
Hogwart's Express for my wife - the only theme she's into these days -
and yes, she's an AFOL too (as well as a HAM - lucky me))