 Off-Topic / Geek / 64
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 00:43:10 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 1999 00:01:17 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
As far as I can tell on my windows box, it only uses the
not-needed-right-now cycles. Linux should _easily_ do that, as process
prioritization is built into it.

Yeah, I might see if it can play nice for a day or so.  'Course,
bandwidth is more of an issue for me than processor power if the SETI
client CAN play nice.

But since I checked out http://www.hypermart.net last night and setup
a website with CGI capability, I may not need to run it at home in
anything other than test mode anyway (the auction script).

I know the linux rc5 client is permanently niced to 10, or something
like that. (I think SETI developed the client under linux, by the
way..)

Hrmmm, neat.

So, how _is_ this VMWare doing, and how much extra memory do I need
(from 64) to run a successfull Win98/NT under it?

VMware is pretty good.  I'm going to order a copy for work this week
and once I do some more testing of it I will probably buy a personal
copy for myself at home.

As for memory, I had 128 in my box at home and I was giving NT 64 of
that.  NT really likes more than that, though, so I stole 64 from my
Linux box.  Giving NT 96 and Linux 96 seemed to work fairly well.
Since RAM is cheap right now I figure I can afford to bump my main box
up to 256.

Don't let anyone tell you that NT runs just as fast as native, though
- it just plain doesn't.  I'd say NT runs as well as it did on my
200mmx, which is bearable, I suppose.

Jasper "Not even mentioning my full harddisk" Janssen

Well, I gave Linux 3 gigs on my home and work machines.  A gig for
Linux itself, then between 1 and 1.5 gigs for NT (maybe so I can test
server running some things like SQL Server 7, Oracle, etc.  Hard disks
are cheap too, though.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide