 Off-Topic / Geek / 65
Re: Multi-purpose tools.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 03:47:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jasper Janssen writes:
Ah! A new group, and _perfect_ for the question I wanted to ask.
Leatherman Wave,
Leatherman Supertool with Tool Adapter,
Victorinox Swisstool with bitset,
or Leatherman Wave with modified Tool Adapter?

I don't like the Leatherman tools.  Their handles in plier mode cut into my
hand, and the knife blades don't lock open (!).

I used to be a fan of Victorionox, but their blades don't seem to stand up to
a lot of stress.

I personally love my Buck Knives "Bucktool" (1).  Mine has the obligatory
needle-nose folding pliers with two size gaps and wire cutters, one vanilla
"whittling" blade, one serrated blade, three sizes flathead screwdrivers, two
1/2 Phillips screwdrivers, and one canopener device (which no one has reliably
shown me how to use in the past 20 years and approx. 10 pocket knives).

Benefits over Leatherman:

  Easy one-handed opening of pliers, kinda like an un-oiled butterfly knife,
or two half-SOGs
  Pliers' handles don't cut into your hand; the flat part of the handle still
faces out
  Locking blades and other non-plier accessories like a Buck knife

Bad points:

  1/2 Phillips screwdriver heads give *slightly* less grip than full Phillips
heads
  No ruler etched into the handle
  Um, no magnifying glass.  :-P

My cow-orker across the hall personally vouches for his SOG (2).  I'm not too
crazy about its opening action, as it allows the pliers to "close" into the
handle with just a little tension.  But its blades have put up with a *lot* of
abuse while keeping a relatively keen edge.

My brother-in-law has a Gerber, with its stiletto-like opening technique.  I
suspect it's prone to failure with a minimal amount of dirt in the hinge.
Avoid avoid avoid.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.