 Off-Topic / Geek / 68
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 01:10:17 GMT

Mike Stanley (cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com) wrote:
: Carbon 60 <carbon60@bigfoot.com> wrote:
: >Mike Stanley wrote:
: >> Oh, I don't have that many at home.  I have that many at work.  I only
: >> have 4 at home.  Couldn't have more than 5 without running a proxy
: >> server, which is actually something I'm considering setting up at some
: >> point.  I only have 5 static IP addresses allocated to me with my
: >> router.  4 machines work for now - my machine, rachael's machine,
: >> server, laptop.  I might throw a Mac in there at some point.
: >
: >Don't bother with a proxy server - it's too much bother - I messed
: >around with Wingate and everything needed special settings.  The
: >solution is a gateway - I use SyGate, basically all machines running
: >through the gateway on a single machine can use it's IP Address.
: >Therefore of those 5 machines an infinite number of machines could use
: >their IP Addresses.  I use this Gateway at home - 3 machines into 1
: >machine with the modem using one dial-up connection with one IP Address.
: >
: >www.sygate.com

: Oh, I wouldn't bother with Wingate, although it is a decent enough
: package for two computers.

: If I do it I'll either use MS Proxy for NT Server (practicaly since I
: would be doing hands-on stuff that might help me with the Proxy class
: should I choose to take it, and I probably will) or just setup ip
: masquerading on a full-time Linux box, something I don't have right
: now but need.  Both would be useful experience.

I can vouch for IP masquerading on a Linux box.  Use it at my wife's
firm.  Does a great job.  Toughest part was getting the named config
files right.

-Bill