 Off-Topic / Geek / 62
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 00:10:13 GMT

On Mon, 31 May 1999 00:01:17 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

One thing I'm going to regret is having to stop the SETI thing from
running on my full-time Linux box at home.  That's where I plan on
running the EveryAuction script for a good while, and I don't know of
a way to make the SETI program take anything less than ALL of the CPU
under Linux.  I'd settle for giving it half if I could set it with a
switch or something, but I can't have it bringing the machine to a
crawl if several people hit it at once.

As far as I can tell on my windows box, it only uses the
not-needed-right-now cycles. Linux should _easily_ do that, as process
prioritization is built into it.

I know the linux rc5 client is permanently niced to 10, or something
like that. (I think SETI developed the client under linux, by the
way..)

Good news is I'll be able to give it the full 128mb it started with
next week.  I just had my friend at a computer store order a 128mb
dimm at his cost - $90.  So 256 for my personal box and 128 for the
Linux box.  Then I'll be able to run Redhat 6, X, and VMware and give
128 to NT under it and 128 to Linux itself.

So, how _is_ this VMWare doing, and how much extra memory do I need
(from 64) to run a successfull Win98/NT under it?

Jasper "Not even mentioning my full harddisk" Janssen