 Off-Topic / Geek / 59
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 23:56:52 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
On Tue, 18 May 1999 00:34:02 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

If I do it I'll either use MS Proxy for NT Server (practicaly since I
would be doing hands-on stuff that might help me with the Proxy class
should I choose to take it, and I probably will) or just setup ip

Yegh. Sounds bloody awful.

Bloody awful but also bloody useful.  I'm actually going to get my
boss to send me to a new Linux admin class I got an e-mail about, but,
for the most part, MS certification (and experience) is a lot more
valuable where I live than Linux experience.

That works. Buy an old 386 with at least 8 megs and 100 megs, need no
fulltime screen, keyboard, floppy, or CD drive.

Heh.

And it works quite well.

barney:~# uptime
10:55pm  up 43 days, 10:50,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
barney:~#

It's been rebooted a while ago because of a power failure.. Could have
been much longer uptime otherwise.

Most of my Linux boxes haven't been up anywhere near that long, but at
least part of that reason is I'm so freaking used to rebooting after
installing damned near anything that since I'm doing any config stuff
as root anyway I just rattle off shutdown -r now without really
thinking about it.  I guess I have reloaded the inetd stuff manually a
time or two, but I've been trained for so many years that a reboot is
a good, and mostly useful thing, so I do it anyway.

Try that with an NT based Proxy server. Besides, proxies are like _so_
unhip.

If ya have any questions, ya know where ta find me ;)

Well, I probably won't have to resort to either one for a while.  Even
as much as I overdo my computer hobby I can't legitimately justify
have 4 times as many machines as there are people in my household.

In other news, I have almost got my new Tecra8000 completely setup and
configured.  Running NT on it (plenty fast on a 366 with 128mb) mainly
because it's the best OS that's truly supported on it.  I did find a
guy who had gotten Redhat 5.2 to work, even with X, on his, but I'm
not quite up to the hacking he had to go through to do it.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide