 Off-Topic / Geek / 61
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 00:06:49 GMT

On Sun, 30 May 1999 23:56:52 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Bloody awful but also bloody useful.  I'm actually going to get my
boss to send me to a new Linux admin class I got an e-mail about, but,
for the most part, MS certification (and experience) is a lot more
valuable where I live than Linux experience.

True, unfortunately. linux experience will get you jobs in the
genertal unix field as well, though.

That works. Buy an old 386 with at least 8 megs and 100 megs, need no
fulltime screen, keyboard, floppy, or CD drive.

Heh.

386DX/40, 12 meg, 100 meg, cheapass Netcard. And it runs sendmail for
me, so I can have as many email addresses as I want ;)

Most of my Linux boxes haven't been up anywhere near that long, but at
least part of that reason is I'm so freaking used to rebooting after
installing damned near anything that since I'm doing any config stuff
as root anyway I just rattle off shutdown -r now without really
thinking about it.  I guess I have reloaded the inetd stuff manually a
time or two, but I've been trained for so many years that a reboot is
a good, and mostly useful thing, so I do it anyway.

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

Reboots are not a Good Thing in linux - for one thing, if you made a
mistake, you now no longer have a root window open to fix it. For
another, you'll automatically fsck the disk every so many times you
reboot (10 reboots standard, IIRC, mine is set at every time)

Well, I probably won't have to resort to either one for a while.  Even
as much as I overdo my computer hobby I can't legitimately justify
have 4 times as many machines as there are people in my household.

<DSW>
*looks around and counts*
Main PC, proxy, Archimedes A5000, NT box (box in the transitive sense
- all the parts minus a case), other box, 286 laptop, in the other
room: A3000 Archimedes, old XT, Two working BBC microcomputers, one
Osborne System/1 (Z80-CP/M), my father's PC and my mother's laptop.
Makes 13, or _slightly_ more than 4 times the 3 people in the
household.

</DSW>

In other news, I have almost got my new Tecra8000 completely setup and

Tecra8000?
configured.  Running NT on it (plenty fast on a 366 with 128mb) mainly

I can't imagine using the words "NT" and "fast" in the same sentence
without negation. Even with 128 megs.

because it's the best OS that's truly supported on it.  I did find a
guy who had gotten Redhat 5.2 to work, even with X, on his, but I'm
not quite up to the hacking he had to go through to do it.

Is this Tecra thing so proprietary?

Jasper