 Off-Topic / Geek / 34
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 17:02:23 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 1999 22:22:32 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:
So is anyone else participating in the SETI@Home program?  I have 5
computers running it right now.  Will probably have it running on
another 8 or 10 soon.
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
Thanks for reminding me about that!  I'm going to go download it now.

Are you sure about what you're running?  They purposely don't release the
source code, under the explanation that they want to keep the analysis
pure.  Although I'd be inclined to trust them since they're at a university
reputed for good programming ethics, it still raises a red flag.

...And Mike, what are you doing with 13-15 PC's at home?!?  Aren't you going
to share with the rest of us?  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

May the Force be with y'all.