 Off-Topic / Geek / 63
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 00:35:55 GMT

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
True, unfortunately. linux experience will get you jobs in the
genertal unix field as well, though.

Maybe, but I don't *want* a job playing with Unix all day.

386DX/40, 12 meg, 100 meg, cheapass Netcard. And it runs sendmail for
me, so I can have as many email addresses as I want ;)

Yep, definitely has its advantages.  'Course, I already have as many
as I want, and a lot more than I could really use.  I don't really
like the thought of depending on a machine in my home to deliver mail,
though.  Power outtages, cats, etc.

<DSW>
*looks around and counts*
Main PC, proxy, Archimedes A5000, NT box (box in the transitive sense
- all the parts minus a case), other box, 286 laptop, in the other
room: A3000 Archimedes, old XT, Two working BBC microcomputers, one
Osborne System/1 (Z80-CP/M), my father's PC and my mother's laptop.
Makes 13, or _slightly_ more than 4 times the 3 people in the
household.

</DSW>

Yeah, if I had kept all my stuff over the years I could fill a few
rooms with it, but I give all my spare computers to family or charity
once I know they won't be doing me any good.

In other news, I have almost got my new Tecra8000 completely setup and

Tecra8000?

(wrapped)

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Toshiba.woa/8/wo/
688000HC200ip200LC4/0.77.3.3.3

Mine is the Tecra 8000 KH71

Nice machine.

configured.  Running NT on it (plenty fast on a 366 with 128mb) mainly

I can't imagine using the words "NT" and "fast" in the same sentence
without negation. Even with 128 megs.

NT is plenty fast on much more moderate hardware, as long as you give
it enough memory.  But this is a PII-366, and NT flies on it.  MS
bashing can be fun, and is often easy to back up, but for getting
things done in the business world or for most people at home, MS is
the only viable choice.

because it's the best OS that's truly supported on it.  I did find a
guy who had gotten Redhat 5.2 to work, even with X, on his, but I'm
not quite up to the hacking he had to go through to do it.

Is this Tecra thing so proprietary?

Uh, ALL laptops are proprietary to a certain extent.  Try getting X to
run on any manufacturer's latest video chipset.  Chances are you won't
be able to in anything other than VGA mode until someone desides to
write drivers for it.  How fast those drivers get written has at least
something to do with how much demand for them there is, and there just
isn't that much demand for Linux on laptops.

Not to say that there aren't laptops running Linux, but Toshiba
doesn't sell a $4300 laptop to an audience that means to use Linux on
it.

Well, I'm off to get Samba working on minifig, my second linux box at
work.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide