 Off-Topic / Geek / 53
Re: SETI@Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 14:16:20 GMT

On Wed, 26 May 1999 23:59:47 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Anyone else managed to get around the server-bog problems?  I've basically
turned my SETI@Home off for a couple of weeks.  Once they release 1.1, I'll
try that out.

Nope, I just put up with it.  Since most of the computers I have
running it are not in front of me it doesn't bother me.

Unfortunately, none of my machines can be allowed to connect automatically,
so I have to deal with connection failures.

On thing I have noticed - on the same hardware, the Linux version
STOMPS the Windows version.  On my P2-450 it takes me about a day to
complete a unit under Windows.  On the same machine running Linux it
takes about 9 hours.

I'm guessing they developed the software under Linux, then ported to
Windows.  And haven't changed optimization to deal with Windows.

I hear my G3-266 at work is outperforming my P2-400 running Win98 as
well.

My home machine runs rings around my work machine.  I think there are two
causes: better graphics card, no NIC, and no active virus scanner.

...and Win95 seems to go faster than WinNT4 on my work machine.

They're all horribly slow, though.

Steve