 Off-Topic / Geek / 3992
Re: MS IE SUCKS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 05:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Netscape Communicator refers to the 4.7x and earlier browser suite, which
does not share code with Mozilla. The new product is now just called
"Netscape" (as in "Netscape 7.0") and *is* based on Mozilla code. Basically,
they take the Mozilla tree every now and then, add a bunch of commercial
junk and AOL advertisements, and release it as Netscape x.x. Meanwhile,
Mozilla development has moved forward to new and better things.

Yeah, someone sent this information to me as a private email.  And while I
do think Mozilla is a great product, esp. for free and with skins and so
forth, it seems to have sketchy support for valign in TD tags (esp. in
nested tables perhaps, which was my experiment -- another test ran fine).
And while I didn't look into it very carefully, I think Mozilla may be
fixing things in bad code -- which Opera never does (this might have been
proprietary DHTML on the part of IE and Netscape -- and you know how they
like to keep up with one another. Blech!). Of course, the benefit of a
browser NOT fixing code is troubleshooting errors.

Opera still wins, hands down. Free with banner, or $30 USD for registered
version.

Galeon is based on the Mozilla engine. And yeah, PNG support in Mozilla is
as good as it gets.

Yeah, this is the huge weakness in IE for PC right now.  It can still be
implemented with some semi-fancy css code, but that's too much work.

Every so often it's nice to dig in for reason and see what is being
supported and what is not by the various browsers, eh?

-- Hop-Frog