 Off-Topic / Fun / 9157
Re: What are your other hobbies and passions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:08:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
William R Ward wrote:

* Commodore 8-bit computers (I got my first - a VIC-20 - when I was
  10, and my first LEGO dark age happened in my early teens as I got
  more into computers...  but I never sold off my childhood bricks)
  (currently in a Commodore dark age; they're in storage)

One of the first PCs I used was a Commodore PET.

Wow, me too!  Actually it was PETs that got me wanting my own computer.  By the
time I had saved up enough to pay for half (my dad picked up the other half) we
had decided on the 8-bit Atari system.  Around that time I got an old CPM
machine and then moved into DOS.  I was a late adopter of Windows technology
and then soon thereafter jumped on Macintosh as a godsend.  All through that
time I had friends with Apples, TRS-80s, C-64s, Amigas, etc. so I got familiar
with a fairly wide arrray.  That said, I don't consider myself a computer
hobiest.

* Other books: science fiction (currently in a bit of a dark age
  there), fantasy (just discovered it recently), and a variety of
  other genres as well.

I always lump F&SF, because while most books can be slotted into one or
the other, there are definitely books which really belong in between. Of
course really almost all SF is fantasy.

This is something that really bugs me!  Only about 5% of SF is actually SF and
the other 95% is space or future fantasy.  And I'm not interested.  I want
Science Fiction in which the author invents a single plausible leap and then
hypothesizes in an entertaining way about the results.  There can be more than
one leap and very slight fantasy elements are fine, but the less the better.

Chris (the grumpy :-)