 Off-Topic / Fun / 9141
Re: What are your other hobbies and passions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:11:15 GMT

Magnus Lauglo wrote:

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has come up in the past, (if so, can someone please
direct me to that thread), but I wonder what kinds of non lego activities
you guys get up to, and if you have found any comparisons or contrasts
between other hobbies and your lego hobby. Often someone's passions indicate
a lot about the person. Maybe some of us can find other AFOLs who share our
other hobbies and passions? I'll go first.

I think this question has been asked before, but it never hurts to ask
again...

Prior to coming out of my dark ages, two hobbies which I am most
interested in were role playing games and model railroading. I have been
able to merge those hobbies with LEGO (Evil Stevie's Pirate Game on the
Role Playing side and LEGO Trains on the model railroading side).

Another big hobby of mine is caving which I haven't quite figured out
how to work that into LEGO (other than that my apartment looks more like
a cave since I started my LEGO collection than before).

My other main passion is that I'm a die hard Bruce Springsteen fan, or a
"Bruce Tramp" in Brucespeak. I've been listening to him for about half my
life, since I was 12 or so, and been a die hard "crazy" type fan since maybe
I was 15 or so. I listen to his music, collect concert recordings and
analyse his songs with other fans.  When he is on tour, I see as many shows
as I can. To date, I've seen the guy 18 times.

Music. Well, that's another passion of mine. I have this neat comic
about investing in CDs taped to the side of my CD rack... If Bruce had a
better singing voice, I'd be a big Springsteen fan myself,
unfortunately, I can't stand his voice, so the only Springsteen I have
is on a CD of miscellaneous British rock, with Manfred Mann's version of
Blinded by the Light.

When it comes to music, my biggest passions are:

- Yes, and almost anything by a group member or a band a group member
was also a member of (Asia for example).

- ABBA (ok, so I'm weird...)

- Organ music (even weirder...)

- Celtic music (especially Clannad, Enya, Maire Brennan, Mary Jane
Lammond and a few others)

I've never been able to describe what it is that I like about music, but
there is a common theme though it may not be apparent to many. One thing
I can sort of point to is a degree of complexity to the music.

Frank