 Off-Topic / Fun / 9149
Re: What are your other hobbies and passions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:12:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Magnus Lauglo writes:

I wonder what kinds of non lego activities you guys get up to

Like many others, mine go in cycles.

There are three main things that I've been doing all my life: playing games,
acquiring books, and taking road trips.

I've played several thousand board games and I currently own several hundred.
I've played many role playing games over the past 22 years since I started and
I'd love to be currently involved if I could find a game that met my
now stringent criteria.  I'm 'out' of computer games right now but I've spent
most of the past 20 years very enthusiastic about them.

I own several thousand books.  Books are great because they can support all of
my other and sub hobbies.  The only time I question the sanity of this
libraffinity is when moving time rolls around which is more than for most folks
since I like living in new places.

While living in California, Missouri, Illinois, and New Jersey I have driven to
43 US states and three Canadian Provinces.  I'm missing ND, NC, SC, LA, MS, AK,
HI.  My honeymoon was a 6700 mile road trip from central Missouri to Los
Angeles via Denver, up the coast into BC and onto Vancouver Island, and back
home via Yellowstone.

My active sub hobbies include:

Geocaching - which is using a GPS to hunt for a box of goodies with which
you can trade stuff and sign a log.  See www.geocaching.com .

Gardening - Herbs and Vegetables mostly.  This year I hope to add chickens and
apple trees but building a good coop is going slowly due to my new daughter's
time demands.

"Designer Board Games" - this phrase was listed in Bruce Schlickbernd's
response to this thread.  If it means what I think...German-style (high
quality, rather than this Monopoly crap) board games then that's what I'm
currently doing in gaming.

3D Art - this is a category that contends for being one of my uber-hobbies but
I decided to list it thus because of it's recent nature in my life.  I've been
a clay artist for about seven years but I'm currently without a studio.  I've
dabbled with wood sculpture and basketry as well.  I'm considering building a
studio out of clay (cob actually -- clay and straw mixed together and built
into walls) so that I can get back into it.

Kids - My kids are largely a joy to hang out with.  I really spend more time on
them than I technically need to just because they're so cool. :-)

and if you have found any comparisons or contrasts
between other hobbies and your lego hobby.

Most of them are kind of expensive.  Geocaching only required a ~$130
investment, so it's nice and cheap.  Road tripping takes too much time off from
work so it has to be combined with other hobbies -- trips to game and LEGO
conventions, etc.

Chris