 Off-Topic / Fun / 9156
Re: What are your other hobbies and passions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 07:09:54 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Magnus Lauglo writes:

I wonder what kinds of non lego activities you guys get up to

Like many others, mine go in cycles.

There are three main things that I've been doing all my life: playing games,
acquiring books, and taking road trips.

I've played several thousand board games and I currently own several hundred.
I've played many role playing games over the past 22 years since I started and
I'd love to be currently involved if I could find a game that met my
now stringent criteria.  I'm 'out' of computer games right now but I've spent
most of the past 20 years very enthusiastic about them.

I'm kind of hoping I'll have better luck finding RPG players in
Portland. I really want to get a game going again.

I own several thousand books.  Books are great because they can support all of
my other and sub hobbies.  The only time I question the sanity of this
libraffinity is when moving time rolls around which is more than for most folks
since I like living in new places.

Fortunately for me this time, I don't have to move the books!!!

While living in California, Missouri, Illinois, and New Jersey I have driven to
43 US states and three Canadian Provinces.  I'm missing ND, NC, SC, LA, MS, AK,
HI.  My honeymoon was a 6700 mile road trip from central Missouri to Los
Angeles via Denver, up the coast into BC and onto Vancouver Island, and back
home via Yellowstone.

Better than me. I haven't been to Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana,
Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama for sure. I must have been through one of
Nebraska or Kansas (cross country drive returning East from Denver), and
then either Iowa or Missouri (we took two cross country trips, so it's
possible that I've been in more than one of each pair, also I have been
on the ground inside an aircraft in Missouri - but I don't really count
that). I don't think I've been through North Dakota. If I felt I could
afford the time, I'd hit all those southern states on my way out to
Portland.

In Canada, I've been to Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland,
and Nova Scotia. In Europe I've been to England, Scotland (I don't think
we hit Wales), France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium,
the Netherlands, Yugoslavia (I think I've been in all the countries
that's split into), and Romania.

I'm sure I'll pick up British Columbia once I move out to Portland (I
mean it would be a shame not to take a long weekend and visit the VLC).

My active sub hobbies include:

Geocaching - which is using a GPS to hunt for a box of goodies with which
you can trade stuff and sign a log.  See www.geocaching.com .

One of these days I'll try this.

"Designer Board Games" - this phrase was listed in Bruce Schlickbernd's
response to this thread.  If it means what I think...German-style (high
quality, rather than this Monopoly crap) board games then that's what I'm
currently doing in gaming.

I've got mixed feelings about a lot of the DBGs, but I tend to like
games with more complex maps and too many of them have simplistic maps.

Kids - My kids are largely a joy to hang out with.  I really spend more time on
them than I technically need to just because they're so cool. :-)

Yea, I could count kids as a hobby (I really enjoy working with the high
school youth at church).

Most of them are kind of expensive.  Geocaching only required a ~$130
investment, so it's nice and cheap.  Road tripping takes too much time off from
work so it has to be combined with other hobbies -- trips to game and LEGO
conventions, etc.

When I had a van, I kept wanting to get a van load of people and just go
off driving for a couple weeks...

Caving is more of my bargain hobbies (you can get started with caving
gear for less than $100, and often we camp, though there is a lot more
hoteling - caving is gentrifying - though I have so far resisted the
biggest money splurges, the custom fit nylon suit, I prefer a good old
pair of Dickies...).

Frank