 Off-Topic / Fun / 9154
Re: What are your other hobbies and passions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 06:44:36 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
Gaming: Its hard to find an area of gaming that I haven't been involved in.
Postal Diplomacy, Magic (beta-tested numerous early expansions), "Designer
board games",  wargames, role-playing (still have my 1st edition brown-box
D&D (no "A" no "TM")), computer games, and miniatures.  The last links into
Lego because I'm using the minifigs for gaming (Fantasy Rules! by Chipco for
massed combat, and I'm looking at Peter Pig's Pieces of Eight for Pirate
skirmishs).  This has also been a profession rather than just a hobby in the
past, having worked on numerous computer games in a variety of capacities.

You are probably one of the few people here who go back farther in RPGs
than me (I started RPGs in 1977). I started war games back sometime in
the early 70s with a copy Tactics II. I started my game design passion
not much after (by designing an alternate game board and later an April
19, 1775 board game [which was literally a "board" game, I used a small
plank to draw the board on]). I don't have a 1st ed. D&D boxed set, but
I do still have a boxed set. I also have the 2nd RPG that my friend got
(Chivalry and Sorcery - rather tattered), and have a 1st ed. copy of
Runequest (and when I run RQ, I run something based off of 1st ed with
interesting bits taken from later editions, though I may have to give
Hero Wars a try [amazing that they finally published that]).

I kept looking at Pieces of Eight and finally picked up a copy.

Hiking & Photography: I tend to do these in combination, so you can probably
deduce that it is nature photography.  I've gone digital on this, retiring
my film camera.  I'm looking to replace my 3 megapixel camera with a 4 or 5
megapixel one.

Photography is another of my hobbies, though I've not done nearly as
much as I used to. I used to do mostly "people" pictures with some
nature photography thrown in (I need to get more into cave photography).

Music: Broad and eclectic taste, but current live music I have been
attending is classical - I was listening to the L.A. Philharmonic perform
Beethoven's 6th rather than push pirate ships at BrickWest.

What an excuse...

History: kinda goes with all the gaming, I suppose.

Yea, I guess you could count that as a hobby though I don't indulge as
much as I used to.

If I had more time, I'd add more hobbies.

Wouldn't we all...

Frank