 Off-Topic / Fun / 809
Re: 2 8299 CD-ROM's Available!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 02:57:00 GMT

The climb to the top was a little unnerving for several reasons. First, "It's illegal to
climb the pyramids", so our group of about 10 caught a coupla taxis from our hotel at
about 4:30 am.  Second, We arrived in darkness with no idea how to proceed.  Fortunately
for us, there were (to our amazement) individuals who hung out around the pyramids to
guide folks like us up to the top (for a price).  Third, the stones are MASSIVE (1),
about a meter high, but not very deep.  It was best to keep looking up.  We finally
arrived at the top and watched the sunrise over the Giza plateau.  Awesome.  On the way
down we were busted by the Egyptian pyramid police who accepted some "bakshish" (2) and
let us on our way.
Altho Cheops is the largest pyramid, it is by no means the most difficult to climb.  One
guy from our group went back the next morning to climb Khefre, the one that still has
smooth pavers near the top.  He was a very athletic fellow, and said later that it was
hairy towards the top.  No thanks.

(1) It is still not known today how the great pyramid was built and many contend that,
even today, we do not possess the technology to build a replica.
(2) an accepted sort of bribe

BTW, I did not shake JP's hand atop a pyramid, but at the Vatican:)

I am generally afraid of heights and steep climbs. I had climbed
atop El Castillo in Chichen Itza. Of that I was quite proud.
My best achievment was going almost to the top of the Pyramid
of the Sun?(The one on the side of the main avenue). Almost,
I didn't climb the last metre, to the tiny mound on the top.
To climb any of the 3 main Giza pyramids would probably be
too much for me to handle....

Did you shake hands with the pope on the top of Cheops, or
during the same trip??

I finally realised a dream of seeing
the pyramids of Giza in October 1997. I fortunately left for
Luxor the morning before the terrorist attack outside the
museum (my "hotel" was just around the corner). I was long
home when Hot Chicken Soup saw its attack, fortunately.