 Off-Topic / Fun / 7595
Re: New Train Sets #10013 and #10014
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 05:00:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  What movie?  The phrase faaaarrr predates Gwyneth Paltrow--
  it probably predates her *birth*, in fact.  It's a Monty
  Pythonism from the Flying Circus days (not the movies).
  Three guys in red outfits who show up whenever someone gets
  offended and says "Well, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition"
  burst in and yell "NOOOObody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  Cardinal Biggles, PUT HER IN THE COMFY CHAIR!" etc etc etc.
  One of the better bits, really--nobody ever *did* satisfactorily
  explain why one of them wore a leather flight cap with goggles.

I know, Lindsay dahlin - but in Sliding Doors (grr - I think that was the
name) the British guy *was* referencing to Monty Python. He's standing next
to Gwyneth in the elevator, she drops her earring, he picks it up, she says
thanks, and he says, "You know what they say...", she gives him a weird
look, and he says: "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" (he says it
again a few times during the movie, and in the closing scene too).

OK< searched on the web, and I was right about the name:
http://www.crazy4cinema.com/Review/FilmsS/sliding.html

Anywho, if there's any chance you'll like the "what if" aspect of it, go
rent the movie, and whatever you do, DON'T READ THE WHOLE REVIEW. Don't
scroll down at all below where it is, if you don't want spoilers. It reveals
waaaaay more than any review should, even though it doesn't give away the
ending (what an accomplishment! The reviewer is basically jumping out of
his/her skin to *not* tell it. Gee). And the cute guy is James Hannah,
evidently.

I recommend it! (Then again, men don't _like_ romantic comedies, right? <grin>)

-Shiri